Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Dear Keller,

Tomorrow morning, my first born, my first little love, my buddy, my side kick, my sweet, smart, sensitive little Keller starts pre-K. I have always looked forward to the day that he would go to school and learn all the new things that you learn in pre-K (I mean, I think it's come a long way since 1989 when we just napped and colored all day), but as the day has crept up on me for him to actually go, I find myself so sad! I would like to blame it on postpartum hormones (MJ is only 6 weeks old), or the fact that Canon turned 3 on Sunday, but truth be told, I think I'm just one of "those moms".  The ones who have a hard time letting go. Who fear the first time that he gets hurt and I'm not there to kiss his knee. Or the first time some punk kid teases him and he comes home with hurt feelings. Knowing that he is learning and growing so much every day and I won't be there to see every minute of it. Knowing that his teacher will spend more time with him over the next 9 months than I will. All this is just too much for an emotional mama!! So I wanted to sit down and collect my thoughts, write my sweet baby a letter to read to him sometime later about all the things I want for him as he starts his new adventure. But I can't. I can't put into words all the things I want for him. Everything I pray for him each night, and everything I'll pray over him all day tomorrow, and each day after, as he enters those doors. Prayers for safety, strength to have integrity, prayers for friendships, prayers that he will come to know God and be a witness for His kingdom to his classmates and teachers, prayers that The Holy Spirit will intercede for me on the things I don't even know how to pray for. I'm so thankful to have a happy, healthy 4 year old to send to get a great education with a teacher who lives him, in a class full of his friends. So instead of writing him some sappy, gut wrenching, letter to him, I'm writing this:

Dear Keller,
     Go get 'em. We are behind you all the way. I love you more than Leo, Mike, Don and Raph :)
Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment